Chartstring – is a combination of data segments that provides necessary information for financial management and budgeting. A complete chartstring includes Business Unit, Account, Fund, DeptID (the lowest level of the Entity Hierarchy), Program (if applicable), ChartField1 (if applicable), and ChartField2 (if applicable). The different segments provide necessary information for strategic financial management and budgeting.
If you don’t know which chartstring to use, contact your manager, Divisional Finance Leader, or Research Administrator.
A complete chartstring includes:
- Business Unit – will either be 10000 for the Berkeley campus or J0000 for UCOP activity administered on the Berkeley campus financial records and general ledger
- Account Code –this field describes the nature of the expenses
- Fund– the source or type of money
- DeptID – (Department ID) – the cost center where the expenses will be charged
- Program Code – used to report the broad category of functional activity that incurred the expense; for Contract and Grant funds used to determine if overhead applies to the transaction
- ChartField 1 – department defined field for reporting; it represents a project, for Contract and Grant funds it is used to track a task, deliverable or fabrication
- ChartField 2 – department defined field for reporting; it identifies a Principal Investigator or faculty lead, it tracks ongoing financial activity for the reporting, analysis and management of resources related to a faculty member or Principal Investigator
For Contract and Grant funds, there are three additional segments:
- PC BU– Project Costing Business Unit – if the general ledger business unit is 10000, the PC BU is GM100; for J0000, the PC BU is GMJ00
- Project – a defined body of work
- Activity– the funding period(s) mandated by the sponsor