These materials cover basic Cal Answers functionality available on most dashboards regardless of subject area.
- Quick Start Guide - a great resource for beginners to Cal Answers dashboards on how to log in, select and apply prompts, filter and sort data.
- Navigating the Cal Answers Home Page
- Basic Navigation Learning Map - a linear guide to a comprehensive set of the latest training materials to support you in getting started working with the all of the Cal Answers dashboard reports.
- Printing and Exporting Dashboard Reports, NEW 8.20.18 -steps to print and export data tables and dashboard pages from the Page Options and hyperlinks under tables and charts.
- Creating Bookmark Links, updated 8.07.17 - how to share your filtered and customized dashboard view by creating a direct URL link for future use and/or sharing with others.
- Saved Customizations, updated 9.18.18 -step-by-step instructions for creating, applying and editing your favorite filtered and formatted dashboard reports for future use.
- Saved Customizations and bookmark links, overview of saved customizations and bookmark links.
- Sharing an Ad Hoc Analysis - NEW 7.16.18
- Export your saved customizations to a PDF
- Data Refresh Schedule, Updated 7.20.17
- Mobile App User Guide- how to download the Cal Answers Mobile App for use on your smartphone &/or tablet.
- Where do I now find data that used to appear in Cal Profiles and Cal Profiles Plus?
- Getting Started with Ad Hoc Analysis Finance: A resource quide for working in the Custom Query Ad Hoc Analysis area of Cal Answers.
- Financial Management Reporting Overview video: An overview of each of the reports in the Financial Management Reporting dashboard. (video)
- Getting Started with Financial Management Reporting: An introduction to the Financial Management Reporting dashboard and details on each of the reports in the dashboard. (PDF)
- Cal Answers Basic Navigation Learning Map: A linear guide to a comprehensive set of the latest training materials to support you in getting started working with the all of the Cal Answers dashboard reports. (PDF)
- Financial Management Reporting Wiki: Visit the wiki page for more information on each of the Financial Management Reporting dashboard pages and a dictionary of terms.
- Cal Answers Top 10 Finance Dashboard Tips job aid created to help our newest report runners work with the Cal Answers Finance prompts and data tables reports.
- Cal Answers Financials Basic Navigation Slide Presentation
Gift & Endowment Reporting
- Getting Started with Gift & Endowment Reporting: (Updated 5.18.18) An overview of the reports in the Gift & Endowment Reporting dashboard including the new Gifts in Suspense Accounting report. (PDF)
- Gift & Endowment Reporting Learning Map: A linear guide to a comprehensive set of the latest training materials to support you in getting started working with the Gift & Endowment Reporting dashboard.
- Gift & Endowment Reporting Wiki: Visit the wiki page for more information on each of the Gift & Endowment Report pages and a dictionary of terms.
- Academic Planning Dashboard Job Aid -Designed primarily for Deans and Chairs, the Cal Answers Academic Planning dashboard provides a curated view of Department level data. The dashboard is trends focused, using pre-defined filters and methodology informed by the Academic Program Review process.
- Cal Answers Student Data Subject Area Dashboard Map, Updated 5.30.18
- Student Data Learning Map, Updated 5.22.18
- Top 10 Dashboard Tips, Updated 4.20.18
- Top 10 Questions for Advisors, Updated 7.20.17
Dashboard Overviews & Homework
What to learn how to navigate the Cal Answers student data* subject areas to access, format and print your data tables?
At the end of the class you will have practiced:
- Applying filters to access your unit-specific student data
- Managing the layout of the data tables by moving and hiding columns
- Saving customized views of your data for future reference and sharing with your colleagues
- Printing and exporting data tables and charts
If the available dates don't work with your schedule, sign up for the waitlist and we will notify you as soon as more of our 2- hour hands-on training classes are scheduled.
*this hands-on functionality class is trained using the Cal Answers Student Data dashboards, but all of the functionality covered is subject area agnostic and works the same in all Cal Answers subject areas - Financial Management Reporting, General Ledger Reporting, Gift & Endowment Reporting, Human Resources Reporting and Student Data.
Cal Answers Financials Office Hours
We are offering a series of office hours to help answer your questions about pulling data from Cal Answers without using BAIRS.
Please email us a link to the BAIRS report you’re trying to recreate or a PDF of the report at firstname.lastname@example.org two days before your appointment. Please bring your laptop to the session.
Sign up for office hours - follow this link to sign up for a 30 minute time slot.
There are still times available through March. Follow the sign up link to review the dates and times available.
What to learn how to navigate the Cal Answers Financials General Ledger & Multi-Year subject areas to access, format and print your data tables?
Sign up for the waitlist to be notified when additional classes are open for enrollment:
At the end of this training you will have practiced:
Logging in and accessing the Cal Answers Financials General Ledger and Multi-Year dashboard reports
Applying filters to access unit-specific financial data sourced nightly from BFS
Managing the layout of the data tables by moving and hiding columns
Saving customized views of your data for future reference and sharing with your colleagues
Printing and exporting data tables and charts
This training is open to all UC Berkeley staff and faculty who have access to Cal Answers Financials reporting dashboards. If you have access to the BAIRS Financial Reporting module you were automatically granted access to Cal Answers Financials.
Not sure if you have Financials access?
Review the FAQ How do I find out if I have access to Cal Answers Financials? for how to check your current access levels.
You can learn how to request Cal Answers Financials access on the Access Financials page.
* This hands-on functionality class is trained in the Cal Answers Financials General Ledger dashboards, but all of the functionality covered is subject area agnostic and works the same in all Cal Answers subject areas, including Human Resources Reporting, Payroll and Student Data.
Top 10 Tips for Working in Finance Dashboards
Each subject area maintains a wiki - a collaborative web site where the business analysts document their subject area's procedural information, such as data definitions, report field lists, unique methodology considerations, etc. Select the link below to view the wiki of the subject area you are researching:
Campus data analysts are currently offering Cal Answers Office Hours to assist new and continuing users with questions about how to access, retrieve, and interpret data within the Student Data subject areas:
- Student Applicants
- Student Curriculum
- Student Demographics & Outcomes
- Student Financials & Financial Aid